Tuesday 10 December 2013

Adiós amigos!

  It's fascinating how adaptive we human beings are. How fast we're able to get used to a new life and a new culture is as amazing as how fast we are able to forget all of it and return to our daily lives back home. In the end, everything is just temporary. Every moment, all the feelings, everything we experience will eventually pass and make room for new experiences. Feelings that have been unbearable and things that at one moment have felt hopeless, are gone the next. On the other hand it's also emptying to notice how quickly your eyes have become used to something that took your breath away the first time you saw it. You realize that things that you had a hard time adapting to in the beginning slowly have become a part of your everyday life, a part of you. Then there come's a moment when you start wondering how you'll be able to adapt back to your normal life, in a world that is so different from the one you've finally started to get used to.

In Bolivia you can never know for sure how your day is going to turn out. It sometimes feels like every day is an adventure. Maybe a tree has fallen during the night and blocked the road, or maybe there's a protest or roadblock that messes up the whole city or at least your plans. Or maybe you get lost because the bus that particular day chooses to drive a different route than normally. Or maybe a clown on the rush hour bus entertains you! 

It might take a while to get used to never knowing what will happen next, but once you accept it you start enjoying it. It's liberating to constantly let yourself be surprised and enjoy the chaos around you. I guess when you have so much chaos around you, you feel less chaotic yourself.  At least I somehow just couldn't get enough of all the absurd moments that spice up your day and leave you with a "what just happened?" face. And believe me, we've had more of those moments than we can count for. 

It's two days since we left Corazon Grande and we are now coming closer to the end of our journey. Here we are now at the airport of Amsterdam, confused, amazed and excited. It feels like I've been away from home for ages, in a world of it's own, on another planet. Being here where everything is so familiar already makes the world we are coming from feel so far away. 

I want to thank everyone who has encouraged and supported me to share this experience through this blog, it has been fun and I hope you have enjoyed reading it. And at last I want to mention Julia, who practically has been looking at my face 24/7 for the past three months. And trust me I'm not always the easiest person to deal with (and neither is Julia), but what matters is that we're returning home as friends, and maybe a bit tipsy as we have had five hours to kill at the airport haha :D

All in all this has been an absurd, exciting and mind blowing experience, and even though there still are so many things I can't understand about the world I've been a part of for the past three months, Bolivia will always have a place in my heart. And I can say for sure this is not the last Bolivia or South America has seen of me! 



No comments:

Post a Comment